Normalcy returns to Enugwu-Ukwu after peaceful protests by the youths


…As CP Abang orders full scale investigation into the incident  

Normalcy has returned to Enugwu-Ukwu community following peaceful protests by the youths numbering over 400. The youths were protesting the death of a young apprentice barber and only son, Mr. Anthony Okafor from Adagbe Avomimi village, Enugwu-Ukwu.

Speaking in a statement on the incident, the President General of Enugwu-Ukwu Community, Comrade Bonny Ozo Nkwuaku informed that he received a distress call by 8:40pm on Wednesday, 20th May, 2020 that Mr. Anthony Okafor was being chased around 8:10pm by men of the Nigerian Police, Nimo Division who were enforcing the 8pm to 6pm curfew.

According to him, the chase resulted to his being knocked down by a shuttle bus that the driver was equally trying to evade arrest due to the curfew.

He observed that some youths that witnessed the scene pleaded with the police to take the deceased to nearby Beluchukwu Hospital, Enugwu-Ukwu; a plea that landed on deaf ears, instead, the policemen took him to Nimo Police Station and later to Beke Hospital, Nimo where he later died.

“I immediately informed His Royal Majesty, Igwe Sir Ralph Obumnemeh Ekpeh about the development who immediately contacted the necessary authorities.

“As a result of this ugly and sad incidence, the youths of the community took to the streets today (yesterday) as early as 8am to protests against the death of one of their own and the high-handedness and recklessness of the Police.

“The protests took the youths to the Divisional Police Station at Nimo, Ezi Okpalanri, Nkwo Market and to the Palace of His Royal Majesty, Igwe Sir Ralph Obumnemeh Ekpeh.

“In a joint address to the protesting youths by the Igwe and the PG, the youths were commended for the peaceful manner in which they demonstrated and were cautioned not to riot or allow infiltrators who may want to cause mayhem into their ranks.

“The Igwe assured the protesting youths that their complaints must be brought to the higher authorities as soon as possible and that Justice must be done to the dead.

“With these words, the angry youths dispersed peacefully.

“I want to use this medium to thank all Enugwu-Ukwu sons and daughters, friends and well-wishers who had called in either to ascertain the situation or to make meaningful suggestions and promises. To the road users who may have suffered little inconvenience today (yesterday) in passing through Enugwu-Ukwu, we feel your frustration as much as you feel our pain.

“Finally, we want to assure ndi Enugwu-Ukwu especially our youths that the State Government has waded into the matter”, he said.

Meanwhile, the Anambra State Police command has attributed the death of the 22 year old Anthony Okafor to a fatal motor vehicle accident.

The Police Public Relations Officer of the command, SP Haruna Mohammed in a statement in Awka yesterday said that on 20th May, 2020 at about 8.30pm, there was a report of fatal motor vehicle accident along Nkwo Enugwu Ukwu, Njikoka LGA of Anambra State involving a shuttle bus with Registration No. ACA 325 ZW driven by one Micheal Obi Chukwuebuka of Obeagu Osili of Enugwu-ukwu.

Mohammed noted that the accident occurred when one Anthony Okafor, aged 22 years while trying to cross the highway was suddenly hit by the aforementioned vehicle during the rush hour of the enforcement of curfew.

According to him, the victim was rushed to Beke Memorial Hospital, Nimo by a Police Patrol team where he was confirmed dead by a medical doctor on duty and corpse depositedat same Hospital morgue for postmortem examination.

He further hinted that the driver was arrested and investigation was ongoing.

“However, following the incident, aggrieved youth in the area went on rampage today 21/5/2020 and attempted to set ablaze Nimo Divisional Police headquarters but were persuaded to disperse through the joint efforts of the Police and community stakeholders.

“Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police CP John B.Abang, fdc who is deeply saddened by the unfortunate incident has ordered for a full scale investigation into the matter.

“The CP further assures the public that justice would be done in the case and the outcome of Police investigation shall be made public in due course please”, he stated.

Send your news, press releases/articles to Also, follow us on Twitter @ptreporters and on Facebook on or call the editor on 07030661526, 08053908817.




Leave A Reply