The Resident Electoral Commissioner in Kano State, Mr Mikhail Abdullah, has died in a fire outbreak at his house in Kano State North West Nigeria.
Mr Abdullah’s wife and two of their children were also killed in the fire incident.
According to the police, the inferno occurred around 4:00am on Friday.
The Kano State spokesman, Mr Magaji Majiya, who confirmed the incident, said that the commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and his family died as they tried to escape through the window of their apartment.
Mr Majiya said that the fire later spread to other parts of the house. He said that their attempts to escape through the window of one of the toilets in the building were hindered by a burglary barrier.
The Late Minkaila and his family were rushed to the Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital, Kano, where they died later.
He explained that the fire was suspected to have been caused by a spark in the family’s generator at about 4:00 am local time.
The police said more information about the incident would be released after an autopsy on the remains of Mr Abdullahi and his family.
The bodies of the victims have been conveyed to his native town, Dutse, the Jigawa State capital, for burial, in line with Islamic tradition.
Mr Abdullahi made history on March 28, when he stood firm to ensure a successful conduct of Presidential and National Assembly elections in Kano.